Kelly' Directory of Devon. Devonshire. History of Winkleigh Devon | Jackie Freeman Photography | Timeline |

 

 

An illustrated History of the village of Winkleigh

Additional INFORMATION PAGE

Photograph: South aspect of Winkleigh village, Devon:

© Jackie Freeman Photography 2008

 

 

Kelly's Devonshire Directory

The original  & Complete Entry for Winkleigh - Devon  1902

South Street Winkleigh at the turn of the century. circa 1902

 

 

 We have transcribed this entry from the original Kelly's Devonshire directory for you as it gives a full account of the village of Winkleigh in Devon and its inhabitants & private residents as recorded by Kelly’s Directories of London in 1902.

 

 It is provided for those of you who may be interested in research into the history of Winkleigh, Devon or who may be researching their own family history, genealogy and ancestry:

 Kelly's Devon directory lists family names in alphabetical order, their addresses, occupations, trades and commercial businesses.

 

Photograph likely by Edward Saunders

 

LONDON KELLY'S DIRECTORIES LIMITED, PRINTERS,

182, 183 & 184, HIGH HOLBORN, W.C.

AND

MIDDLE  MILL, KINGSTON-ON-THAMES.

Copyright Kelly’s Directory

 

 Kelly's Devonshire Directory:

DESCRIPTION OF WINKLEIGH:

 

  WINKLEIGH is a parish and ancient village on the road from Crediton to Torrington, 4 miles south-west from Eggesford station on the North Devon branch and 5 miles north-west from. North Tawton station on the Devon and Cornwall section of the London and South Western railway, 6 south-west from Chulmleigh, 12 southeast from Torrington and 22 west-north-west from Exeter, in the Northern division of the county, North Tawton and Winkleigh hundred,

South Molton petty sessional division, Torrington union and county court district, rural deanery of Chulmleigh, archdeaconry of Barnstaple and diocese of Exeter.

 

 The Church of All Saints is an ancient building of stone, chiefly in the Late Decorated style, and consists of chancel, nave, north aisle, south porch, transept and an embattled western tower with pinnacles, containing a clock with chimes, presented by Miss B. Pinckard, and 8 bells : the chancel and nave are separated from the north aisle by an arcade of six arches, supported on clustered columns : the trefoiled piscina, with its projecting basin, is of Decorated date, and the ancient priest's door on the south side still remains : The windows of the nave and aisle are of Perpendicular character, but many of them have been restored : The reredos, of alabaster and mosaics, presented by Sir Charles Turner K.C.B. in memory of his parents, at a cost of 150, was designed by the late Mr. J. Gould, architect ;

 The carved work was carried out by Mr. Harry Hems, of Exeter: The pulpit was presented by Mrs. Letheren, the organ by Mrs. Henry Pinckard, and the lectern by Miss Hartridge:

In 1873 the church underwent a thorough restoration, at an expense of nearly £7,000, through the munificence of G. H. Pinckard Esq. of Combe Court, Godaiming, Surrey:

 

There are 400 sittings.

 

The register of baptisms dates from the year 1585 ; marriages and burials,1569.

The living is a vicarage, net yearly value 207, with residence and 9 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Exeter and held since 1887 by the Rev. Henry Bremridge M.A. of St. John's College, Oxford, rural dean of Chulmleigh, and surrogate.

 

The Rev. William Davey, vicar of this place and some time curate of Lustleigh, who died in 1826, wrote and printed with his own hands " A System of Divinity in 26 Volumes," 14 copies only being completed.

 

 A mission church, dedicated to St. Michael and All Angels, was erected at Hollacombe in 1891, at a cost of 900: the building is of local stone, in the Early English style, and consists of chancel, nave, vestry, porch and a tower : The stained central light of the east window was the gift of the parishioners in memory of the late Earl of Portsmouth, d. 1891 ; The windows on either side are memorials to the Rev. James Philip Bremridge M.A. vicar 1872-87, and his widow ; Services are held every Sunday.

 

 There are Wesleyan and Bible Christian chapels in the village, a Bible Christian chapel at Stable Green and a Congregational chapel at Hollacombe, erected in 1869.

The church lands have been applied to the repair of the church from an early period, and comprise an undivided moiety of a farm, called East Chapple.

 

The poor parishioners have 2 / 2s. yearly from Sir John Acland's charity and the interest of 30 left by unknown donors.

A sum of money left by Mr. John Ashplant, the Skinner Charity and the Gidleigh Charity produce about 6 yearly, which is distributed among poor widows over 60 years of age.

 

 

Fairs are held on the first Wednesdays in April, the First Monday after 8th of July and the first Wednesday in October, yearly, for cattle.

 

There is a reading room supported by subscriptions.

 

Winkleigh Court, the property of R. F. G. Johnson esq. J.P. is at present (1901) occupied by Sir Robert Joseph Crosthwaite K.C.S.I. Ronald Frederick Godolphin Johnson esq. J.P. who is lord of the manor, the Earl of Portsmouth, the trustees of the late John Tremayne esq. of Heligan, Cornwall, and Mr. Robert G. Luxton, of Brushford Barton, are the chief landowners.

 

The soil is Dunland ; {"Hill Land" } and the subsoil is chiefly clay, with some rock.

Some parts of the parish are woody, and the remainder good corn and grazing land ; Together with some Estates in Lapford, Coleridge and Zeal Monochorum parishes, it originally formed a hundred, now called Loosebeare tithing.

 

The area is 9,209 acres of land, including a large tract of barren moor, and q of water; .Rateable value, £6,166;  

The population in 1901 was 1,079.

 

 

 

Winkleigh Officers: including occupations / names and address.

 

Sexton, William Mitchell.

 

Post, M. O. & T. 0., T. M. O., S. B., Express Delivery,

Parcel & Annuity & Insurance Office .Railway Sub- Office. Letters should have R.S.O. N. Devon added

 

Mrs. Emily K. Friend, Postmistress.

 

Letters arrive per railway at 5.16 a.m. & 4.15 p.m. ; dispatched at i.io  & 7.57 p.m

Wall Letter Box, Hollacombe, cleared at 7 a.m. week days only.

 

 

A School Board of 9 members was formed March 31, 1874 ;

 

T. Letheren, clerk to the board & attendance officer SCHOOLS. Board (mixed), built in 1876, for 180 children; average attendance, 112;

Thomas Richd. Dupara. Master; Mrs. Sarah Ann Tipper, infants' Mistress.

 

Board, Hollacombe (mixed), built in 1881-2, for 50 children ; average attendance, 50 ; Miss L. Snell, mistress

 

Police Constable, John Wyatt

 

Carrier to Exeter. Thomas Woollacott, every Thurs

 

(Marked thus * should be addressed Davey John, farmer, Penson (letters *Molland Richd. wheelwrt. Hollacombe

Wembworthy R.S.O.)

 

 

1902 : PRIVATE RESIDENTS. (through. North Tawton)

 

Bremridge Rev. Henry M.A. (vicar, rural dean and surrogate – Vicarage:

Bremridge Philip, Linden house

Crosthwaite Sir Hobt, Joseph K.C.S.I., B.A. Winkleigh court

*Davie Philip, Ashley cottage

Davis Alrun rider, Seckington

Dulling Mrs. Castle street

Dunning Major- Richard

Ford Miss, Heath cottage

Godwin Mrs. The Cottage

Heysham Mrs. The Parsonage

Norman James Henry, Goodleigh

Scott Rev. Montague B.A. (curate),

*Whiteford Rev. Charles (Cong.),

 

COMMERCIAL:

Ashplant Chas. farmer & shopkeeper

Babbage James, farmer, Babbages

Baker John, farmer, Herdwick

Baker John, jun. carpenter

Bartlett Albert, watch & clock maker

*Bird John, boot maker, Hollacombe

Boundy Richard, farmer, Garradown

Brook Theodore, tailor

*Brook Thomas, mason, Hollacombe

*Brouk Wm. blacksmith, Hollacombe

*Brook William, mason, Hollacombe

Chambers William, wheelwright &

farmer, Wood Roberts

Chamings Albt.W. farmer, Heckapen

*Cole James, farmer, Nrth. Collacott

Collihole Thos. grocer & ironmonger

Coombe William, rope & twine maker

*Cowle John, farmer, Bransgrove

Cowle William, farmer, Wood Terrell

Crocker Josiah, tailor

*Darch James, miller (water) & farmer, Horry mill

Davie William, farmer, East Ashley

Devon & Cornwall Banking Co. Lim. (sub-branch) (James Letheren, agent), open mon. ; fri. 4 to 5 p.m. ; Draw on Barclay & Co. Limited, London E C

Davey John, farmer, Penson (letters *Molland Richd. wheelwrt. Hollacombe

Wembworthy R.S.O.)

Down George, farmer, Durdon

Down Thomas, farmer, Stabdon

Dulling Albert Edward, shopkeeper

Dulling James, tailor

Farleigh J. S. & Co. grocers, & agents for W. & A. Gilbey Limited, wine & spirit merchants

Francis Edward, watch & clock ma

Francis Henry, carpenter

Francis William, Tinplate worker

Friend Mrs. Emily K. bookseller, stationer, fancy repository & Post office

Harris Joshua, farmer, Puncherdon

Harris Thos. Farmer & miller (water) Taw mill

Hellyer John (Mrs.), farmer, Collacott

Hcywood Thos. G. Farmr. Ea. Chappie

Hill Charles, Winkleigh hotel, & agent for Gdulding's manures & seed mer

Inch John, Carpenter

Inch Samuel, Carpenter

Isaac Ade Parkin, farmer, Crispin

Isaac Edmund James, farmer & cattle dealer, Townsend house

Isaac Ephraim, farmer, Loosedon Barton.

Isaac Ephraim Batt, farmer, Chapel Downs

Isaac Frederick James, butcher & farmer, Clotworthy

Isaac Henry, game dealer & seed merchant, Park place
Jones William, shoeing ; general smith

Lane Jabez, farmer, Whitehorse

Lendon Samuel, Barnstaple inn

Letheren Annie (Mrs.), draper

Letheren Frederick George, saddler

Letheren John, baker

Letheren Lucina (Miss), baker

Luxton Moses 4; Sons, agricultural implement makers

Luxton Robert, yeoman, Hill

Luxton Robt. Geo. farmer. Hiddlestone (letters through North Tawton)

Luxton Robert John, farmer, Chapel

Manning William, farmer, Southcott

Miller Josiah, farmer, Gray's bridge

Mitchell Ann (Miss), dress maker

Mitchell Charles, carpenter

Mitchell John, blacksmith

Molland John, farmer, East Luxton

(letters through North Tawton)

Molland William, jun. farmer, Lower Narracott (letters through Ashreigney,

Chulmleigh)

Molland Richd. wheelwrt. Hollacombe

Molland William, farmer, Park place

Norman James Henry L.R.C.P. & S. Edin. Physician & surgeon & medical officer, Winkleigh district, Torrington union, Goodleigh

*Nott George, farmer, Pittaford

Paddon Bartholomew, farmer, Garraton & Higher & Lower Coulson

Paddon Thomas, farmer, Wheatland

Parker George, shoe maker

"Partridge William, farmer, Gosses

"Pickard Jonathan, farmer, Pensford

Potter George, farmer, Puncherdon

*Rattenbury Wm. farmer, Pensford

Ruwle David, Veterinary surgeon

Raymont Thomas, Tailor

Reading Room /Library: (Rev. H. Bremridge, hon. sec)

Reed John, Earthenware dealer

Rice Richard, Farmer, Kingsland

Robbins George, Mason

Blunders Edward, Photographer, & Temperance hotel

Saunders John, Farmer, West Riddiford

Saunders Robert, Farmer, Heath hill

Shopland John, Farmer, Ward

Short Jonathan, Yeoman, Westwood

*Sowdeu Frederick. Farmer,New House fm

*Stevens Francis, Farmer, Higher Hollacombe

Stevens Samuel, Farmer, Park

Tinney Edward, Ring of Bells Public House

Tout William, Farmer, Narracott (letters through Ashreigney, Chulmleigh)

Tucker Richard, Shopkeeper

Turner William, King's Arms Public House

Underbill Wm. Farmer. Chittlehampton B

Wadland Thomas, .Farmer, Down .

Westaway John, farmer, Week house

Westaway Richard, Clerk to the ParishCouncil & assistant overseer, Week house.

"Westcott Henry, Farmer, Smitham

Westcott Simon, Farmer

*Weston Amos, Farmer, Stable green

Winkleigh Hotel (Charles Hill, proprietor), 4 miles from Eggesford station ; first-class accommodation for visitors & cyclists, hot & cold baths, good shooting, golf links in adjoining parish, & within easy distance of meeting points of four packs of hounds

Woollacott Thos. Blacksmith & carrier

 

 

 

Kelly’s other directories include:

 

TRADE DIRECTORIES OF ENGLAND, SCOTLAND AND WALES.

Grocery and Oil and Colur and Provision Trades

Manufacturers of Textile Fabrics...............................

Building Trades .......................................... .

Wine and Spirit Trades, Brewers and Maltsters ..........

Leather Trades.............................................................

Cabinet, Furniture and Upholstery Trades ....... ..........

Stationers, Printers, Booksellers, Publishers and Paper "Makers'"

Chemists and Drug-gists and Chemical Manufacturers 20*

Engineeis, Iron and Metal Trades and Colliery Proprietors

Watch and Clock, Jewellery and Fancy Trades

 

 

KELLY's TOWN DIRECTORIES.

 

Bristol

Birmingham and Suburbs

Leeds and Bradford with suburbs

Bradford and suburbs

Nottingham Wrights

Manchester Salford Slaters

Sheffield and Rotherham

 

LAXTOX'S BUILDERS' PRICKEBOOK (Annually)

KELLY'S HANDBOOK TO THB TITHED, LANDED AND OFFICIAL CLASSES CLERGY LIST

ROYAL BLUE BOOK (Annually)

COUNTY COUNCILS, MUNICIPAL CORPORATIONS AND DISTRICT AND PARISH COUNCILS COMPANION

 

Published jointly by Kelly's Directories Limited and Slaters Directory Limited

ROYAL NATIONAL DIRECTORY  OF SCOTLAND .................. .........

ROYAL NATIONAL DIRECTORY OF IRELAND ......

NORTH AND MID WALES.............................................

 

Agents for the Sale of, and Receipt of Advertisment for the following Dlrectories.

POST OFFICE DIRECTORY OF VICTORIA (AUSTRALIA)

POST OFFICE DIRECTORY OF SOUTH AUSTRALIA

POST OFFICE DIRECTORY OF NEW ZEALAND

POST OFFICE DIRECTORY OF NEW SOUTH WALES'

POST OFFICE DIRECTORY OF WESTERN AUSTRALIA

QUEENSLAND POST OFFICE AND OFFICIAL DIRECTORY

POST OFFICE DIRECTORY OF TASMANIA 22

SOUTH AFRICAN YEAR BOOK AND DIRECTORY OF CAPETOWN 1800 GENERAL DIRECTORY OF SOUTH AFRICA

 

London: KELLY'S DIRECTORIES LTD., 182, 183 and 184, High Holborn, W.C

 

 

 

THE Proprietors trust that the present Edition of KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF DEVONSHIRE AND CORNWALL may be found equal in accuracy to the previous ones.

 

It comprises a general account of both Counties, with the Hundreds and Poor Law Unions, a sketch of the Geological features of each County, and the Places in both alphabetically arranged, with the Inhabitants, both Private Residents and those engaged in Commerce and Trade. Under each Parish, the Division of the County (as formed under the provisions of the " Redistribution of Seats Act, 1885"), the Hundred, Union and County Court District, the Diocese, Archdeaconry and Rural Deanery, are given, as also the College and University of every Beneficed Clergyman as far as they can be ascertained, and the names of the Parish Clerks and lists of the

JFarm Bailiffs of Gentlemen farming their own land have been added.

 

The County Councils, formed under the "Local Government Act, 1888," are included, with the names and addresses of the members ; likewise changes under the provisions of the "Local Government Act, 1894."

 

The Maps of the two Counties have been specially prepared for this Edition.

The Proprietors have again to return their thanks to those Clergymen, Magistrates' Clerks, Registrars and other Gentlemen who may have assisted

their Agents when collecting the information for the present Edition.

 

The Letters S.O. and R.S.O. at the end of Addresses in various parts of the book are abbreviations adopted by H.M. Post Office to represent Sub-Office and Railway Sub-Office ; and if these initials, with the name of the County, are added to the addresses of letters in lieu of the usual name of Post Town, the delivery of such letters will be accelerated.

 

 

PUBLISHING OFFICE,

182, 183 & 184, HIGH HOLBOBX,

LONDON, W.O.

December,

 

 

 

 

 
.

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Parish Church of Winkleigh All saints, - Continued on next page

                                      

A History of the Borough Town of Winkleigh, Devon

Continues with:

History of All Saints Church Winkleigh

RAF Winkleigh

Click on image to go to next page

All Saints Church Winkleigh Devon.

Photographer: © Jackie Freeman Photography 2008


 

 

BACK

Copyright: Jackie Freeman 2008

 

 

Web site Design:  WinkWeb


Copyright:/ 2008 | Jackie Freeman Photography - Grays Crioss - Winkleigh, Devon, England. All rights reserved
Unauthorized use of the images illustrated is prohibited and protected under international laws of copyright.

 

                  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Photographs: © 2008 Jackie Freeman Photography: Winkleigh - Devon - England

Devonshire village of  Winkleigh:

 

© Jackie Freeman Photography 2008

 

Pubs, Public Houses and Inns: The Kings Arms Pub Winkleigh.

The Duke of York Public House, Winkleigh

The Seven Stars, Winkleigh.